Thursday, June 23, 2011

Invitation Received!

Today, I ran up the stairs of my apartment expecting to see my long awaited big blue envelope from the Peace Corps. Last Wednesday, I had the final phone interview with my Placement Officer where he told me my invitation package would be sent immediately after we hang up.  I was so excited, and promptly called my mom, while semi- hysterically crying, but at the same time trying to bother my co-workers.

So where am I going? What will I be doing for the next 27 months?

I will be going to Senegal, working as an Urban Agriculture Extension Agent.  I am so excited for this assignment and was immediately shocked at the "urban" designation of my job title.  So for everyone who was waiting: that probably means I will not be living in a thatch roof hut.  Hooray!  Part of me is disappointed by this, but I quickly got over it.  Ultimately, I think this job sounds perfect for me and I hope it will bring lots of new friendships, skills, and results for my new community.

I will break down my application process a little better for everyone in the next posting, however, I have to get to work on Visa and Passport applications. This big blue envelope came with more paperwork to fill out and complete.  In the mean time, I have been trying to focus on packing, re-writing my resume and creating an aspiration statement, telling friends and family of my exciting news, and trying not to get too excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment